Pullman Public Schools Ensuring Learning While Challenging and Supporting Each Student to Achieve Full Potential

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu

Health and Wellness

Immunization Updates for 2020
Starting in fall of 2020, all Washington State Public Schools will be required to meet new student immunization guidelines from the Washington State Department of Health. Starting August 1, 2020, this will directly and immediately impact all students that are new to our school district, or providing updated immunization records.
The changes include:
Parents will be required to provide a medically verified immunization record for their student. Medically verified is defined as:
  • A Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) printed from the Immunization Information System (IIS) or from “MyIR” – databases that medical providers often use, or;
  • A physical copy of the CIS form with a healthcare provider signature, or;
  • A physical copy of the CIS with accompanying medical immunization records from a healthcare provider verified and signed by a Pullman Public Schools nurse.

We encourage families to plan ahead! Please consider reaching out to your student’s medical provider soon to request a copy of the student’s immunization records, and then submitting the records to Michelle Hyatt, district nurse.

Immunization records are required, and students will be ineligible to attend school if appropriate records are not provided to the school.

From the Department of Health:

"Children may begin school or child care only if they received all of the required immunizations they are due to receive and submitted medically verified records on or before the first day of attendance.

If additional immunizations are needed after receiving all immunizations they are eligible to receive before starting school, children may start school or child care in conditional status and remain until the next dose becomes due. Children will then have 30 calendar days to turn in updated records showing they received the missing dose. If additional doses are due, conditional status continues until all required immunizations are complete. If the 30 days expire without updated records, the child must be excluded from further attendance.”

If you have any questions, please let contact Michelle Hyatt, District Nurse: mhyatt@psd267.org


Where can I get my child immunized so they can start school on time?
Schedule an appointment at your child's clinic for the spring or early summer so your child is caught up on immunizations and ready for the start of school. You may also call the Whitman County Health Department at 509-332-6752.  You can also use https://vaccinefinder.org to find other places that vaccinate near you, such as pharmacies.


What if I've lost my child's records or my healthcare provider closed?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends revaccination if a person has lost their records. Your child may also get a blood test to determine immunity for some diseases. Check with your child's doctor or clinic to find out what they recommend. You may also check to see if your child has any records in the state registry by using the personal registry portal, MyIR.


Has the rule change affected exemptions to immunization requirements?
There are a couple of changes that affect exemptions.

  • The rule was updated to align with a recent law change that removed personal/philosophical exemptions for the measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine.
  • The rule also removes the need for parents or guardians to specify their religious membership on the Certificate of Exemption for a religious membership exemption.


What does it mean to exclude a child who is out of compliance?
When a child is excluded, they are not allowed to attend school/child care. RCW 28A.210.120 states that children who are out compliance shall be prohibited from attending school or child care centers. Until a child has paperwork that shows they comply with the law, they are considered out of compliance.


Does the Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) have to be turned in before my child can register for school?
Immunization paperwork must be turned in to the school or child care on or before the child's first day of attendance. The CIS is usually collected as part of the registration process.


Can a health care provider send my child's records directly to the school, or do I have to turn them in?
Health care providers may send a medically verified Certificate of Immunization Status directly to the school or child care. This is allowable under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule with verbal or written agreement from the parent or guardian.


Who needs to provide a medically verified Certificate of Immunization Status?
Parents of new students, or students with updated immunization records, must provide a medically verified immunization record for their student.



Air Quality Guidelines